Prevent rather than Correct
The HealthyStart™ system is a revolutionary departure from traditional orthodontics that treats children early, is non-invasive, and is a natural way of straightening teeth. It works as well as or better than braces, plastic aligners, surgery, or any other options to achieve a picture-perfect, beautiful smile. Dr. Nathanson is one of only a few doctors in this area trained to offer this innovative new system!
HealthyStart Results from Real Patients
Open-bite corrected with HealthyStart
Overbite and Overjet
Overbite and overjet corrected with HealthyStart for Preteens five years post-treatment
Benefits of the HealthyStart System
Dr. Nathanson and our staff work hard to bring our patients the most cutting- edge dental technology with the most benefits. When you choose the HealthyStart System, you experience the following benefits:
- Achieve a perfect smile WITHOUT braces or surgery
- Prevent crooked teeth versus correcting crooked teeth
- Achieve permanent results
- Experience no discomfort
- Treats naturally working with your facial growth and development
Beautiful Smiles Are Just the Beginning
Sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) is an all-inclusive term for breathing difficulties, which range from mild snoring all the way to severe airway obstruction during sleep. When your child’s breathing is disrupted, his or her body registers the disruption much like choking; and it therefore slows the heartrate, raises the blood pressure, and arouses the brain, which ultimately disrupts the sleep. Traditionally, there have been very few answers to treating this issue, but Dr. Nathanson is now using HealthyStart to treat these issues.
Causes of Sleep-Disordered Breathing
Crooked teeth, crowded teeth, or mouth breathing can cause underdevelopment of the mouth and jaw when your child’s nasal and upper airway is constricted. The HealthyStart system works to guide your child’s teeth into their proper position, expanding and fully developing his or her mouth and jaw.
How can I tell if my child has sleep-disordered breathing?
Does it ever sound like a freight train is running through your child’s room at night or as your son or daughter lay asleep in the back seat on the way home from a trip? Loud snoring is one very apparent indication that your child may have sleep-disordered breathing. Gasping and snorting sounds while your child sleeps may catch you off guard or even make you momentarily worry. These sounds stem from your child moving from a deeper sleep to a lighter (towards waking up) struggling to breathe.
Common Sleep Disorder Breathing Symptoms Include:
- Chronic allergies
- Mouth breathing
- Swollen adenoids/tonsils
- Frequent headaches
- Teeth grinding
- Frequently waking up
- Excessive sweating while asleep
- Restless sleep
- Irritability/aggressive behavior
- Difficulty in school subjects of math, science, and spelling
- Arrested growth
- Daytime drowsiness
- Dark circles under the eyes
How Does the HealthyStart System Work?
HealthyStart System works with the natural forces of tooth eruption. The soft, comfortable, and removable devices gently guide the erupting teeth into their perfect positions. In addition, HealthyStart aids in the correct growth and alignment of the lower jaw, expansion of the arches to ensure incoming permanent teeth have enough room to emerge straight, and development of proper oral habits.
Depending on the age of your child, the system uses a series of appliances:
- Habit-Corrector: The habit-corrector eliminates or improves current oral habits that can damage your child’s dental health. He or she wears the habit-corrector at night while sleeping. With a design similar to that of a pacifier, your child will become used to wearing a device in his or her mouth every night. This step lasts about one to five months.
- Second Phase: Your little one will get an appliance customized and sized for him or her to wear every night. It guides the incoming teeth into their proper places, corrects jaw relations, and expands your child’s arches for the adult teeth. Your child will wear this device for two to six months.
- Final Phase: The final treatment begins with a device that accommodates incoming adult teeth. It begins when your child has at least four permanent teeth. This phase is extremely important because the adult teeth are forming and the gum tissue fibers are starting to attach the teeth in the mouth. HealthyStart works perfectly to ensure the teeth erupt into proper alignment.
Consider the HealthyStart System
Dr. Nathanson and our staff only offer time-tested and proven procedures to our patients. Researchers and developers have carefully designed the HealthyStart System to be adaptable to each patient’s individual needs. Dr. Nathanson’s ability to determine the optimal HealthyStart System for your child makes him the dentist you want to correct your child’s sleep-disordered breathing symptoms.
Nathanson Dental strives to provide our patients with healthy, beautiful, and lasting smiles. Call our Hunt Valley, MD dental office today to schedule your complimentary consultation, and give your child the gift of a HealthyStart!